Type of glider: Ventus 2c/18m,

Takeoff location:Air Sailing (US / 11)


Please wait, loading in progress ...

Flight details

Points for the flight 650.22
Points for the flight 644.03
scoring distance 760.0
Speed 161.1 km/h
Duration 04:43:01
Points for the flight 6.19
scoring distance 24.3 km
Speed 7.0 km/h
Duration 03:30:16
Scoring class 18m
Scoring start 20:25:30
Scoring end 01:08:31
Index: 118.0
Club Air Sailing Nevada
Date of claim 19.09.2019 05:04:49
state IGC-File: Flight:

Flight path

Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


  • MeetingPoints are shown for Users with Login only.
    Please log in.

TopMeteo - Weather Charts

Please wait, loading in progress ...


Please wait, loading in progress ...
Please wait, loading in progress ...


Absolutely awesome wave day. Spent most of the day doing 100 KIAS/130 KTAS at 17,000'. Lots of areas had lift stronger than 10 knots that I had to move away from just to avoid busting class A. Winds 30-60 knots out of the SW at altitude. Surprisingly calm at the surface both for launch and landing. Lift was well marked by lines of rotor and foehn gaps. Some rotors had a bit of a lenticularish cap, but the only well defined lennies I saw were way into the flight levels and way east, by Hawthorne. Unfortunately, I did launch a good 2 hours later than I wanted to due to morning showers and low overcast that was so bad it hid the local peaks such as Tule and Nexrad. After finishing up rigging my glider, it got a good drenching as it rained quite a bit from 10:45-12:45, but it did eventually clear up. I dried, squeegeed and toweled her off and launched around 13:15. I did the usual wave entry by ridge soaring off the west side of the Dogskins and doing figure eights on the upwind side of the rotor until it smoothed out into wave. It wasn't quite that simple as I tried that in a small gap through the clouds that started closing up on me and I dove with the spoilers before I got socked in above. I tried it again a bit further upwind in slightly clearer sky and found the wave just on the N end of the Dogskins. The rest of the day was great and pretty uneventful. There was a bit of the wave equivalent of a sinky blue hole by Stead/Peavine that robbed me of a few thousand feet of altitude every time I passed by, but it wasn't too bad and I easily managed to regain that altitude. The area by Coleville was also a bit weak, but nothing unmanageable. I could have continued past Lee Vining a little bit but the air was much drier down there and there were barely any visible markers further S. At the end of the day it was a real challenge to come down, and I tried to descend gradually instead of just hanging out in the down side of the wave as I didn't wanna subject my glider to rapid temperature changes. Fantastic start to the 2019-2020 wave season. Special thanks goes to Gene for coming out to tow and Thea for helping me derig even a few minutes past sunset.


- noComment -

Autocomment: Automatically determined proposal of OLC (18.09.2019 20:25:28 UTC till 19.09.2019 01:17:21 UTC) was changed manually.


TQ Avionics
Air Avionics
Peter H. Braasch
Cobra Trailer
M+D Flugzeugbau
Deutscher Wetterdienst
LANGE Aviation GmbH
Jonker Sailplanes
SCHEMPP-HIRTH Flugzeugbau GmbH
IMI Gliding
DG Flugzeugbau
Segelflugschule Wasserkuppe
Alexander Schleicher
Rent a Glider
WINTER Instruments